Indira Gandhi National Open University was established in 1985 to democratise higher education. The main objectives are listed below:
- democratising higher education by taking it to the doorsteps of the learners;
- impart education and knowledge through various means suited to the Open and Distance Education Mode.
- Offering need-based academic programmes at affordable cost in emerging professional and vocational areas;
- encourage, coordinate and assist Open Universities and Distance Education systems while determining standards in such systems in the country.
- provide national integration and strengthen the natural and human resources of the country through the medium of education.
|Master's Degree Programmes|
|Bachelor's Degree Programmes|
|PG Diploma Programmes|
IGNOU has more than 1.5 million students with extremely varied profiles, spread throughout the length and breadth of the country. The University has an efficient and effective networking of 48 Regional Centres (22 are IGNOU Regional Centres, 8 are North-East Regional Centres, 5 are Army Command Centres, 8 are IAF Command Centres, 4 are Navy Command Centres and 1 is for Assam Rifles Command Centre), 6 Sub-Regional Centres and over 1030 Study Centres, all over India.
IGNOU's method of instruction differs radically from that of other conventional universities. The University has adopted a multimedia approach to instruction. The different components being: self-instructional materials, counselling sessions, both face-to-face and via teleconferencing mode. For courses in Science, Computers, Nursing as well as Engineering and Technology, arrangements have been made to enable students undertake practical classes at select study centres.
Indira Gandhi National Open University - Evaluation System
A two-tier system of evaluation is followed:
- Continuous evaluation through tutor-marked/computer-marked assignments, practical assignments, project work,
- and Term-end examinations.
Assignments and Term-end exams are mandatory. Proportionate weightage is given to both assessment components for evaluation purposes. Students securing the highest score at the first attempt are awarded gold medals during the annual convocation ceremony of the University.
Email: Student Registration & Evaluation Division: firstname.lastname@example.org
Material Production and Distribution Division: email@example.com
Regional Services Division: firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Service Centre: email@example.com
India Pin Code: 110 068
General Enquiry : 29535924-32, 29535062-65, 29534976, 29533647, 29535927, 29534397, 29536609, 29536667, 29536975, 29532964, 29534326, 29533767, 29533790, 29536980 (EPABX)